Oak Park Village Illinois History
Oak Park is located west of Chicago and is one of the suburbs that many young people call home. It is 7851 Timber Dr. in Orland Park, which had 56,767 residents in 2010, according to the U.S. Census.
The first residents of the village settled in the area of Oak Park Avenue and Oak Ridge Road south of the Chicago River. Previously, it was considered part of a larger community called Harlem that included parts of Oak Park and Forest Park. In 1872, the name "Oak Ridge," which had already been assigned to a post office in Illinois, was changed to Oak Park, and an area that had not yet been incorporated and officially belonged to Cicero Township until 1902.
In 1902, a consolidated high school district was established in Oak Park, the Oak Ridge High School District, the first of its kind in the United States. The new district included parts of Cicero Township, Forest Park and the City of Chicago, as well as parts of Oak Grove and Oak Hills.
The boundaries of the two communities are the same as today, with the exception of Oak Grove and Oak Hills in Cicero Township and Forest Park in the city of Chicago. The boundaries of these two communities are identical to their present boundaries.
Oak Park and the adjacent River Forest also host the Oak Park & River Forest Symphony, which celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2009. The Orchestra of Riverforest, a symphony of its own, will also play in Oak Park and in neighboring RiverForest, which celebrates its 25th birthday in 2010. River forests are bordered to the east and west by the Chicago River, Lake Michigan and the Illinois River.
Other notable attractions include the Oak Park & River Forest Museum of Natural History, a museum of art, history and culture. Other attractions include the Illinois State Museum, Chicago Park District Museum and the University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign, as well as a number of other parks and leisure facilities in the area. Other attractions include Lake Michigan Park and Recreation Center, an indoor water park and nature center with playground, playgrounds and other activities for children including swimming, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, hiking, biking and snowshoeing. Other attractions included the American Legion Hall of Fame and Memorial Park of the United States, as well as a recreation center.
The Village of Oak Park displays this list to encourage everyone to spend some time in their wonderful village and possibly decide to become a part of history. For more information about the Village of Oak Park, please see the community information sheet provided by the Village of Oakland Park & River Forest Museum of Natural History, or the community information page on the Village's website.
Founded in 1903 as a public library, the Oak Park Public Library has a rich and celebrated history in Oak Park, having been elected to the first board in 1905 and to the second board in 1908. Founded in 1902 as a public library and re-elected in 1906 for a second term and again in 1907, it has a long and rich history as one of the oldest public libraries in the United States.
The number of residential buildings in Oak Park reflects the fact that Oak Park was part of the city of Cicero until 1902, when it became a village. Other settlers moved in after the fire in Chicago in 1871, which caused an exodus of Chicagoans to OakPark and brought the village its first population boom. The oak park was settled in the next decades, with the fastest growth in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and its population more than quadrupled between 1869 and 1884. The housing stock reflects the truth that it was a part of Cicero - city from 1868 to 1873 and again 1875, until 1901, then again from 1902 to 1904, before it became a village. The history of Oakpark is reflected in its housing stock: it was a part-town, Cicero, but then another city until 1876 and then an independent village from 1904 to 1902.
In 1877, the railroad operated 39 trains a day between Oak Park and Chicago, and in subsequent years, the Chicago and North American Railway Company (C & NRC) increased service between Oak Park and Chicago. In 1876 she took twenty - eight trains from Chicago to Cicero City and then to the village of OakPark, then again from 1902 to 1904, until she became an independent village in 1902. After the fire in Chicago in 1871 and the construction of the Illinois Central Railroad (ICR) in the late 19th century, a railway was established in 1878 to connect Oakpark with Chicago in addition to the expansion of the connection to Oak Parks. From 1879 to 1881, before the opening of a new station at Oak Ridge, an additional station, connections to both Oak Parks were increased.