Oak Park Village Illinois Shopping
There is a wide selection of handcrafted home accessories, furniture and accessories. The thirteen parks scattered throughout the village form one of the most popular shopping streets in Oak Park Village, Illinois.
Oak Park borders Cicero Street in Berwyn, Lombard and Harlem Avenue, and the boundaries between the two communities are Lake Street, Oak Park Avenue and Ciceros Avenue. That makes sense, since Lake Street is part of the state of Illinois. 20, stretching from Chicago to Dubuque, Iowa.
Ridgeland Avenue in eastern Oak Park marks the shores of the lake and was once a real ridge, according to the Chicago Park District.
In the 1850s, the land on which Oak Park is located was part of the original Chicago and Lake Michigan Railway Company steam train. Chicago was conveniently located on the shores of Lake Michigan, but after a fire in 1871, Chicago rebuilt its downtown and was bursting with new ideas. In the following years, Oak Park and Chicago were connected by the expansion of the steam train to Chicago as well as by the streetcar and elevated trains. By 1877, the railroad was running thirty to nine trains a day between Oak Park and Chicago, and as settlement development continued in the 1880s and 1890s, the railroads were supplemented by streetcars and elevators, with the goal of connecting OakPark commuters with jobs in downtown Chicago. By the early twentieth century, Oakpark had outgrown its neighbors to the east, with a population of more than 1,500,000 people and an area of about 1.5 million square feet.
As Chicago grew from a regional center to a national metropolis, Oak Park grew from a population of 500 in 1872 to more than 1,500 and an area of about 1.5 million square feet by the end of the 20th century.
According to the local Historical Society, between 1892 and 1950, Oak Park had the largest housing stock of any city in the US and the second largest in Illinois after Chicago, according to a recent study by the Chicago Historical Society. The existence of oak car parks reflects the fact that it was part of the town of Cicero until 1902, when it became a village.
With a comprehensive white-oriented planning, Oak Park retained its majority white population and remained an integrated village. Kettlestring Grove slowly grew into the smaller village of Oak Ridge, which is now the northwestern part of Oak Park. The Chicago-Elgin elevated rail of the Chicago and Illinois State Railway ran into OakPark in the 1920s and provided access to the tracks originally intended for the Chicago, Elgins and Chicago Central Railway (CTA) trains. Although the trains were at ground level until 1960, the elevated railway was extended to the Oak Park in 1971.
Accessible from Chicago, Oak Park is connected to the Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority through Metras Oak Park Station in downtown, which includes a stop at the intersection of Augusta Boulevard and Oak Ridge Avenue. The CTA and Pace also offer access to the Chicago Park and Recreation Center and the Illinois Prairie Path Trail. Augusta Blvd., the village is part of the Grand Illinois Trail and a sign to the Illinois Prairie Trail is less than a mile from Oak Park.
The ancient Des Plaines River, once connected to the Chicago River, flowed into the glaciated Lake Chicago, making Oak Park one of the largest lakes in the United States and the second largest in North America.
Oak Park is more closely connected to Chicago by the Chicago River, the Des Plaines Avenue Bridge and the Illinois State Railroad. The system is operated by the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA), the city's public transportation system.
The name Oak Ridge, which had already been assigned to a post office in Illinois, was changed to Oak Park in 1872. The official name change of the city of Chicago in the US State Department began on July 1, 72, when Oak Park was renamed "Oak Park" for the first time in its history due to its proximity to Chicago.
This racial shift caused a dramatic change in the racial structure of Chicago's west side, including Oak Ridge, Oak Park and other parts of the South Side. The tree - lined streets, large houses, wide sidewalks and wide open spaces - is shaped by residents who have lived in this community for generations.
The recreation department was dissolved and the Park District of Oak Park was created as an independent tax authority with its own parks and recreation department.
Fenwick High School is a public school jointly operated by the Oak Park and River Forest Public Schools and the Lake County Board of Education. The school district, which also charges fees in the adjacent woods, includes four elementary schools, two middle schools and two high schools. Catholic College - Preparatory School, run by Dominicans, is one of the oldest public schools in the Chicago area and houses students who have been admitted to the Cum Laude Society. In addition to its status as a city, Oak Park also bears the name of its first city councilman, John F. O'Connor Jr.